Junior Sous Chef (Sushi) | Sokyo
Job no: 519436
Work type: Permanent Full-Time
Categories: Chef / cook
At The Star Entertainment Group (TSEG) our talented teams create unique experiences to over 18 million guests each year. With the vision to become Australia’s leading integrated resort company, our properties at The Star Sydney, The Star Gold Coast and Treasury Brisbane are world-class tourist destinations and home of some of Australia’s most awarded restaurants and bars, event centres, luxurious five-star accommodation and a truly world-class spa and casino.
Awarded One Chef’s Hat for seven consecutive years by the Sydney Morning Herald’s Good Food Guide, Head Chef Chase Kojima and his team use the finest local produce to create an imaginative Japanese-inspired menu.
With its own fusion of uber-cool ambience and eclectic energy, Sokyo is an experience unlike any other. The 175-seat restaurant is located within the lobby of The Darling hotel, Sydney’s first and only luxury hotel to receive the prestigious Forbes five-star rating – the most coveted award in global luxury travel.
About the role
You will be leading Sokyo’s busy sushi pass of up to 200 covers while maintaining high standards of service. This is an opportunity to be mentored by some of the best chefs in the industry, learn new techniques and be part of the culinary team of The Star Sydney.
Our team at Sokyo is committed to deliver thrilling and memorable dining experiences. You will report to our Executive Chef Daniel Kwak and two Sous Chef, your previous experience and ability to work in a busy and high end a la cart Japanese restaurant will help succeed in this role. You will;
- Prepare your station before opening, including, filleting fish and set up the station
- Greet guests on arrival
- Advice guest on menu items and make recommendations
- Maintain a clean, presentable and stocked station
- Prepare sushi as per docquet in a timely and presentable manner
Skills and Experience
- You will be skilled in the art of sushi making. (produces, maki rolls, nigiri, sashimi, with minimal supervision)
- Previous experience as a Chef De Partie, or Demi chef within a reputable restaurant
- Strong understanding of Japanese produce, culinary techniques and kitchen equipment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Hold relevant tertiary qualifications, such as Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Proactive, problem-solving and attention to detail skills highly regarded
You will be part of a diverse team of 36 chefs, they are warm, engaging, and dedicated to making a difference. They are hardworking and committed team players to be the best they can be to deliver a personalised service to our guests.
- Extensive training and career development
- Discounts across The Star hotels and restaurants
- Free meals on duty
- Laundered uniform
- Free light rail from Central to The Star
- Discounted parking and more!
We pride ourselves on our diversity and inclusiveness. We know that people, working together in collaborative teams can create extraordinary things.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply nowWelcome a Friend